From the kitchen of Veronica MacDougall
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise to make 6 filets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup morel mushrooms, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Zest of half a lemon
- Heat grape seed oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Mix egg and water in a shallow dish, such as a pie dish.
- Place panko in a separate shallow dish, and mix with Italian seasoning and salt to preference.
- Dip chicken breasts in egg wash and then coat with panko mix.
- Add filets to hot oil in a single layer, cooking 3 mins per side. Remove and place on a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.
- If there is excess oil, pour out into a disposable container.
- If using wet or rehydrated morels, dry saute them first until most of the water is gone. Then, add butter and saute until edges begin to brown.
- Add the asparagus and saute for another 3-5 mins.
- Add chicken broth and white wine. Let simmer for another 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and lemon zest.
- Plate schnitzel and top with morel mixture. Serve right away.